It's Saturday. Classrooms in Sindhuli East are silent. Deep within the towering mountains, from a little remote village, comes the sound of joyful singing. A group of children dressed in school uniform are enthusiastically making their way through treacherous mountain roads to a small, white building.
For miles and miles around them, there is nothing but a clear blue sky and rocky roads. Giggling and laughing, they reach a community building located on a hill. It's time for World Vision's 'Reading Camp'!
In a community where education facilities are sorely lacking, World Vision has established reading camps to boost children's literacy skills. These reading camps are a safe haven for children whose lives and education came to a standstill when the earthquake struck in 2015 and destroyed more than 30,000 classrooms. Hidden away among the mountains, the people of Sindhuli East have had little access to the basic necessities that can help them recover from the disaster and thrive.
This year, World Vision invites you to be an advocate for disaster-stricken children and families in Nepal. Navigate Nepal's mountains on World Vision's Hike for Hope, and bring the gift of education to Sindhuli East.
Hike for Hope and rally your friends to support World Vision's education initiatives in Sindhuli East. The funds raised will go towards:
- Improving infrastructure of education institutions (including better classrooms and sanitation facilities) and ensuring schools are equipped to withstand impending disaster
- Training teachers to adopt child-friendly teaching methods
- Training parents on better farming methods so that they can increase their income and support their children's education
*More details will be given at the pre-trip briefing.
Trip Cost: S$1,500/- (**Flights excluded)
Dates: 17 - 22 November 2019
Day 1: Flight to Kathmandu, Nepal
Day 2 to 5:
- Trek rocky terrain to experience the daily struggles of young children trying to get to school
- Spend time with vulnerable children and families as they share their stories and lives
- Visit farmers who try to eke out a living from parched lands to feed their children and send them to school
- Volunteer on day activities with children in new schools, kindergartens and literacy camps as they learn to read
- Live like a local in homestays and advocate for children waiting for an opportuntiy to break out of the poverty cycle
Day 6: Flight back to Singapore
If you would like to join us, please sign up before 15 July 2019. Details will follow after your registration. Please note that registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
A pre-trip briefing will be held on 17 October 2019, Thursday 7pm at our office (10 Tannery Lane, #06-01/02, Singapore 347773).
To register for the trip and make a payment, you will need to login to your digital account before you can view the registration form below.
If you are an existing donor but logging in on this new site for the first time, please request for a new password using your email address here. If you do not have an account / partner number, please create a new account. Thank you!